A personal data breach means a breach of security leading to the accidental or unlawful destruction, loss, alteration, unauthorised disclosure of, or access to, personal data. This includes breaches that are the result of both accidental and deliberate causes. It also means that a breach is more than just about losing personal data.
Personal data breaches can include:
• access by an unauthorised third party;
• deliberate or accidental action (or inaction) by a controller or processor;
• sending personal data to an incorrect recipient;
• computing devices containing personal data being lost or stolen;
• alteration of personal data without permission; and
• loss of availability of personal data.